Omens of War Goes Live on Fippy Darkpaw September 11, 2012Posted by Wilhelm Arcturus in entertainment, EverQuest.
Tags: Fippy Darkpaw, Nostalgia, Progression Server, Vulak
The time for another vote has come and gone and this time around Omens of War has passed and been unlocked on the Fippy Darkpaw server.
Of course, in the Fippy Darkpaw tradition, the event could not pass without issue. While the expansion unlocked and went live on the Vulak server without a hitch, the unlock failed on Fippy and the polling system went into something of a reset state and wasn’t displaying the results. This lead to the guilds vying for “first place” in downing bosses to bump into the content wall.
Piestro, who is officially back as the EverQuest community manager stepped in and at some point yesterday afternoon the expansion unlocked on Fippy Darkpaw.
With Omens of War, the expansion list is now on the cusp of the World of Warcraft era. Released on September 14th of 2004, this was the last expansion SOE was to release while still king of the subscription MMO hill. After that, EverQuest II launched on November 8th and World of Warcraft launched on November 23rd, and the great decline began. EverQuest would be the king of the hill no more.
The Omens of War expansion brought with it a level cap increase of 5 level, boosting the ceiling up to 70, a ninth spell slot, purchasable with AA points, along with the title, task, and tribute systems. Among the notable zones added was the Citadel of Anguish, which was considered to be the hardest raid event relative to player power/abilities so far in the game.
Meanwhile, the progression server timeline app on the EverQuest site appears to be officially and completely broken now, having reverted from displaying Planes of Power to classic EverQuest.
This was no doubt was cheered by the group that has taken over the progression server forums to demand a stop to progression and who continue to agitate for a “classic” server preserved in amber and never updated, though there appears to be no consensus as to where “classic” really ends. That state appears to be somewhere between launch and the Gates of Discord expansions, but shifts depending on who is speaking.
The list of Fippy Darkpaw events now stands at:
- Fippy Darkpaw server goes live with classic EQ content
- Classic EverQuest competed, February 24, 2011
- Ruins of Kunark unlocked, June 6, 2011
- Ruins of Kunark completed, June 19, 2011
- Scars of Velious unlocked, August 29, 2011
- Scars of Velious completed, September 14, 2011
- Shadows of Luclin unlocked, November 21, 2011
- Shadows of Luclin completed, December 4, 2011
- Planes of Power unlocked, February 13, 2012
- Lost Dungeons of Norrath unlocked, March 12, 2012
- Legacy of Ykesah unlocked, March 12, 2012
- Gates of Discord unlock vote fails, May 7, 2012
- Gates of Discord unlock vote fails, May 21, 2012
- Gates of Discord unlock vote fails, June 4, 2012
- Gates of Discord unlocked at last, June 18, 2012
- Omens of War unlocked, September 10, 2012
The next stop on the Fippy Darkpaw expansion parade is Dragons of Norrath, which we ought to see show up before the end of the year… unless the Citidel of Anguish is still as hard as it once was.