Just in case mine is the only MMO gaming blog you read (in which case, what is wrong with you?), there is a forum thread over at F13.net asking people to vote on their all time, top ten favorite MMOs.
The way it works, and you need to follow the rules for your vote to be counted, is that you go in and post your ranked favorite list (minimum of five, maximum of ten) in the thread. Every so often they update the tally, which is in the first post. Any game that gets ranked #1 gets 10 points, #2, 9 points, and so on.
My own vote, which is somewhere on page 5 of the thread, were for the following:
- EverQuest – First and foremost for me, I would not be playing any of the others had I not played this
- EverQuest II – A squeaker ahead of WoW, so deep, yet it manages to annoy me a little too often with things like number of character slots
- World of Warcraft – I will hit the level cap here, in the land of polished goodness, long before any other MMO
- EVE Online – Like a Chinese toy, it can be fun and engaging, but it is sometimes filled with toxic waste and covered with lead paint
- Lord of the Rings Online – On my list just for the visual imagining of Tolkien’s world, I just wish the game play was a little better
Nothing surprising in that list. Those are the five MMOs I have written about the most.
While I can count at least a dozen MMOs I have played, it is only those five that I have both played enough to fairly assess and liked enough to want ensure they got any points at all.
As of this writing, the tally shows the following as the top ten:
874 pts. – World of Warcraft
529 pts. – City of Heroes/Villains
511 pts. – Dark Age of Camelot
496 pts. – Ultima Online
451 pts. – EverQuest
435 pts. – Eve Online
376 pts. – Star Wars Galaxies
357 pts. – EverQuest 2
337 pts. – Lord of the Rings Online
228 Pts. – Asheron’s Call
You may say, “Well duh, most users, of course WoW is on the top of the list.” but while it recently broke out of the pack, the race has been very close for #1 at times, so your vote might count.
You might not be able to help out Auto Assault, sitting down the list with only 6 points, but there are other titles in contention.