As was the case with the release of The Burning Crusade back in January 2007, Wrath of the Lich King was available in huge quantities at my local Fry’s. I dropped by on my way to the office to pick up my copy of the expansion, along with a copy of Kung Fu Panda/Secrets of the Furious Five.
Fry’s seemed to have cut back on the number of Collector’s Edition boxes they stocked, as they still had copies of The Burning Crusade Collector’s Edition sitting on the shelf up until last week. There was only one pallet of WotLK CE’s visible when I was in the store.
Of course, arriving at the office, I had to open the box to see what it contained. Contents:
- Game install DVD with activation code
- Expansion Set Game Manual (33 pages, of which 13 are credits… a lot of people worked on this!)
- Two 10 Day Guest Pass Keys (destined for the recycle bin)
- Blizzard Entertainment Product Catalog
The catalog was easily the biggest thing in the box, which I found odd for a company with essentially three game IPs, two of which are years out of date: Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo.
But I had not considered the World of Warcraft spin-offs. They include:
- WoW Novels (StarCraft and Diablo have them too)
- WoW Strategy Guides (Is the game so complex we need a hard copy Atlas?)
- WoW Manga
- WoW Miniatures Game
- WoW Original Comic Series
- WoW Board Game (StarCraft too)
- WoW Trading Card Game (10 different flavors, plus a treasure chest set with dice)
- WoW Action Figures
- WoW Wall and Daily Calendars
- Talking (?) Murloc plush toy
- Life Size Frostmourne replica sword
- WoW T-Shirts
- Carrot on a stick key chain
- WoW Custom Statues
The last one intrigued me. A company called FigurePrints will, for $130, make an up to 8″ tall statue of your character with its current equipment. They are worried about such an onslaught of customers that there will be a lotto for the privilege of getting to pay to have you character created. And they are probably right to worry.
I wonder why the company making the custom guild shirts does not have a similar plan to get you a custom picture of your character or if such a feature is being planned? That would seem to be a more reasonable path.
Anyway, still hours to go before I can get home and install it. I’ve heard that there are some non-functional disks out there. (Earl seems to have gotten one.) We’ll see if I am on that list.