We have already been exposed to the variety of pre-order options that Star Trek Online offers. To get the item you want you have to purchase your pre-order from the right vendor.
Now Atari and Cryptic have announced another wrinkle in the decision process with their press release regarding the Collector’s Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition of the game.
ATARI PRESENTS STAR TREK™ ONLINE COLLECTOR’S EDITION AND DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY
Special Packages Contain Exclusive Content, Collectibles, and Game Access
New York, NY (December 11, 2009) – Atari, Inc., one of the world’s most recognized videogame publishers, and acclaimed MMO developer Cryptic Studios™, announced today a Collector’s Edition and a Digital Deluxe Edition of Star Trek Online, available for purchase on February 2, 2010, for a limited time only. Both packages include exclusive content, collectibles and game access. Right now, the $79.99 Collector’s Edition can be pre-ordered at GameStop.com and the $59.99 Digital Deluxe Edition can be pre-ordered at Direct2Drive and STEAM. Both special editions are also available at Atari.com.
“True Star Trek fans are sure to appreciate the exclusive features the Star Trek Online Collector’s Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition boast,” says Jim Wilson, President and CEO of Atari, Inc. “With extended content and one-of-a-kind collectible items, Star Trek fans and gamers alike can experience the full extent of the Star Trek experience.”
The Star Trek Online Collector’s Edition adds to the experience with such bonus features as:
- Deluxe Packaging: Futuristic 3dX holography set in a high quality brushed aluminum finish. Heavy duty construction with magnetic closures and nested compartments for all components.
- Deluxe Manual: High-end, hardbound, art book, manual and disc case in a single, elegant package. “HD Printing” on over 40 glossy pages highlights exclusive art from the Star Trek Online universe.
- Communicator Badge: High-quality cast-metal design based on the in-game badge model. Fully 3D sculpted with recessed burst and curved contours.
- Guest Passes: Credit card style buddy passes to invite three of your friends for a three-day trial of Star Trek Online. Codes can be transmitted digitally or physically.
- Red Matter Capacitor (in-game item): A unique item that charges up and delivers extra energy to all of your ship’s equipment for a short time.
- “Star Trek: The Next Generation” Uniform (in-game item): Uniform Options from “The Next Generation” Series. The timeless look worn by Picard, Data and Riker.
- “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” Uniform (in-game item): Uniform Options from the “Deep Space Nine” Series. Gray shoulders on a black uniform, just like Sisko, Worf and Dax.
The Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Edition offers such bonuses as five exclusive in-game items as well as the ability to play as a “Joined Trill” – a symbiote that grants you several lifetimes of experience. The five exclusive in-game items include:
- Original Star Trek Uniform Set: Three uniforms from the original series (blue, red, yellow).
- Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote: An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”
- Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote: Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture –the blood wine toast.
- Unique Registry Prefix: Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.
- Unique Ship Item: Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.
In Star Trek Online, the Star Trek universe will appear for the first time one a truly massive scale. In this massively multiplayer online game, players can pioneer their own destiny as Captain of a Federation ship or become a Klingon Warlord and expand the Empire to the far reaches of the galaxy. Players will visit iconic locations from the popular Star Trek fiction, travel to unexplored star systems, and contact new alien species. Every moment spent playing Star Trek Online will feel like a new Star Trek episode in which you are the hero. Immerse yourself in the future of the Trek universe as it moves into the 25th century: a time of shifting alliances and new discoveries. As the Captain of your very own ship, it’s up to you to lead your crew on missions that span the galaxy.
Star Trek Online is a licensed product from CBS Consumer Products. For more information, please visit: www.startrekonline.com
Now I had seen in various places most what came with the Collector’s Edition, though the Red Matter Capacitor is a new twist. (And perhaps skirting a bit too close to the last movie.)
But the Digital Deluxe Edition? A “Khaaan!” emote? And I don’t get it with the Collector’s Edition? And the uniform set from the original series?
What are they thinking, making the original series ship and the original series uniforms essentially mutually exclusive? Did somebody pass out these bonus items by drawing them out of a hat?
I need that “Khaaan!” emote right about now.
And this is only going to get worse I bet when we find out what the European distributors are going to be handing out. You just wait until we find out the French are getting a Joan Collins “City on the Edge of Forever” bridge crew member or some such.
I suppose we will all be able to identify who bought which version where on day one.
Cryptic, you’re making me crazy.