I got home last night and found that my download was complete. The Star Trek Online client was ready to install.
I ran the installer. That went well.
I logged in and let it patch. Also good.
And then I was told that the server was down, but that it would be up soon. No big deal.
At some point after the server came up, I logged in. I got to see the Cryptic and Atari logos as well as the cool loading screen.
And then that was about it for the excitement.
After that, the only two messages I saw were:
over and over again.
Not the most auspicious start for me I suppose.
But then again, it was the first night of open beta for a popular game. Problems are to be expected.
It was persistent enough that I began to wonder if it was some sort of replay of the UDP issue I was having with Pirates of the Burning Sea way back when. (PotBS comparisons with STO seem to en vogue at the moment.) However, a check of the forums showed that other people were having the same issue.
So there was no Star Fleet activity at our house on the first night of open beta.
But World of Warcraft was there for me. I got on just in time to run Wintergrasp and call it a night.