I am going to do it.
I am going to complete the National Pokedex in Pokemon SoulSilver.
That involves catching all of the catchable Pokemon.
Hence the famous tag line. (I almost wrote “catch phrase.”)
There are a total of 493 Pokemon in the game. However, 9 of them are only available through special events. These 9 are not required for the National Pokedex. You only need 484 for that.
With Pokemon SoulSilver, I had a new opportunity, and a few advantages.
First, I had a my copy of Pokemon Diamond with nearly 380 caught Pokemon.
Really, that is part of the whole experience, having to transfer Pokemon that you cannot get in your current game over from your old Pokemon game.
And to help things along, I finished up Pokemon Pearl and Platinum, since both offer a couple of special Pokemon.
Then there is the fact that we have two Nintendo DS Lite units in our house, mine and my daughter’s, so I can easily transfer Pokemon back and forth between games. Plus certain Pokemon only evolve when you trade them. (And to get that 484 number you have to get each Pokemon in all of its various stages of evolution.)
And then there is the fact that my daughter is/was playing Pokemon HeartGold this time around, which has some Pokemon in it that you cannot get in SoulSilver.
And even with all of this, I have been holding my Nintendo DS in my hand every time my wife and I have sat down to watch TV because I have to hatch a Pokemon egg or level a Pokemon up so it will evolve or check the Global Trade Station to see if anybody has accepted my current trade offer. (I have been breeding and trading Piplups fairly successfully.)
I spent a couple hours in Pokemon Diamond, in the underground, trying to dig up a fossil that could be turned into a specific Pokemon (a shieldon, if you must know) because I couldn’t find one for trade.
And after all of this, my Pokedex shows I have caught 479 Pokemon. Of course, I have 7 of those special event Pokemon, so the number I need to hit is 491.
There is light at the end of the tunnel. I have just 12 Pokemon left to go.
I need a the following 12:
- #176 Togetic – Once my Togepi is at “high friendship” leveling it will evolve it into this
- #303 Mawile – I have to check the game daily to see if this one is available
- #454 Toxicroak – A matter of leveling up a Croagunk to 37, easy
- #460 Abomasnow – Again, just need to level up my Snover to 40, in progress
- #461 Weavile – Have to find a special item, have a Sneasel hold it, and level it up between 8pm and 4am local time… I’m not making this up
- #464 Rhyperior – Have to my Rhydon hold a special item and trade it to another player, but have to find the item first
- #466 Elecivire – Another special item hold and trade, but I have the item this time
- #468 Togekiss – Need Togetic, first one on the list, to get this
- #470 Leafeon – Need to evolve an Eevee in Pokemon Diamond then trade it over, easy
- #472 Gliscor – Similar story to Weavile, need an item and a time frame
- #474 Porygon-Z – A Porygon2 has to hold a special item then be traded, ala Rhyperior, with the same issue
- #488 Cresselia – Have to go catch this in Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum
And if I want to be a completionist and get all 493, I also need a Manaphy, which is only available at special download events. And once I have that, I can breed it to obtain the final Pokemon, a Phione.
Aside from those last two, not an impossible task at this point. And then I will be finished.
At least until the next version of Pokemon, Black & White, shows up in the US. It is already available in Japan and is selling very well.
And when I get it, who knows how many Pokemon I’ll need to catch. But it looks like the Pokemon are numbered up to 649 with the new games.