Just because an online game was already about six years old when EverQuest, which drew much of its inspiration from this game, hit the store shelves doesn’t mean that it is winding down. It may not be in danger of exceeding its maximum connection limit any more, but TorilMUD is still alive and evolving.
Nine new zones from the former Homeland MUD have been converted and added to the mud. Look for them in the credits, and here’s a taste of what’s in store:
- King Horgar Steelshadow the Fourth has closed the city of Gracklstugh to outsiders, but has finally, after being pressured by merchant guilds for the better part of a year, agreed to allow passage around the city walls to the wild tunnels of the Underdark that lie due west of the city gates. With the trade routes open, the fiendish minotaurs that roam the Labyrinth once again have a steady supply of food.
- Denizens of the Underdark have reported many sightings of extra-planar beings, native to the Plane of Fire deep underground.
- Rumors spread throughout the Northdark about a temple dedicated to the Elder Eye, and the riches contained within, unfortunately for adventurers, those rumors usually finish with ‘… and they were never heard from again.’, but there is always an exception, isn’t there?
- Patrolmen from Phlan have reported increased activity ranging from ogres to dragons, all hailing from the mountains to the north.
- Strange travelers have been seen in the astral plane, whether they mean good or bad tidings for the casual travelers remains to be seen.
And while these are not new zones, made exclusively for TorilMUD, they do represent a further expansion of the already enormous world of the game.
My traditional method for finding new places, because the devs never tell you exactly where they are, is to wander around watching my map and looking for new room exits. Maybe some day, if I have time, I’ll add some of these new places to my already large map database.