Eye the list of players online again, just to be sure I am seeing what I think I am.
Go do a policy check to see if anything has changed.
TorilMUD allows characters to have both first and last names. Each name must be suited to the race you are playing and any name that is not deemed acceptable by the Staff MUST be changed, regardless of whether it is a first OR last name. You must be level 20 to ask for a last name and have a valid player description.
Read HELP LAST NAMES if you are ready to request one.
There is extensive help for choosing first and last names. To access help for your race’s first name, type: HELP NAMES <race>
For help on choosing a last name for your character, type: HELP LASTNAME <race>
NOTE ON FIRST AND LAST NAMES:
Any character who does not have a name that is deemed appropriate by the Staff, WILL be asked to change it REGARDLESS of how long you have had the name. We are not perfect and some names DO slip past us.
On TorilMUD, choosing a name is more than just a means of identifying your character. We promote role playing on this MUD, and the name you create for for your character will directly reflect on that. For this reason, it is important that you choose a name that one might find in a fantasy world. Not a name that you have read in a book or heard on TV, but an original fantasy name that you have created in your own mind. Silly or unrealistic names do not belong in this world, and definitely don’t do much to promote role playing.
TorilMUD, unlike most MUDs, allows you to choose a first AND last name and this is one reason we have such stringent name criteria. Someone named “Hawkfist Willowbend” just doesn’t fit.
- Silly or funny names. Examples: Gillywoper, Wooglewanper The only exceptions are the gnome and halfling races.
- Compound words. Examples: Lordfear, Hawkfist, Rainman
- Words, mispelled or not. Examples: Wynde, Windy, Wynter
- Name from books or television. Examples: Rand, Smaug
- No names or words backwards. Examples: Regnarami, Diurd, Samoht
- No famous names. Examples: Cher, Madonna, Billclinton
- Names that do not fit the race you are playing. Examples: An elf named Garagh or a dwarf named Theleindifel
- No words or names from other languages or cultures. This also includes oriental names.
- No oriental names or oriental sounding names. We do not have a “Far East” on TorilMUD as yet (with no immediate plans to add one) so such names are not allowed.
- No names from TSR, FR, or Tolkein spelled correctly or not. This falls under the names from books criteria, but it seems we have to indicate this as a separate item. Examples: Drizzt or Drizst, Crysania or Krisania, Frodo or Frodoh
This is a serious mud, one in which we are trying to create the most realistic world possible. Choosing a GOOD fantasy name will reflect better on how the Staff and the players on the mud relate to you.
Policy still in place, though the famous names… Cher, Madonna, Billclinton… might point at how old this help file is.
Double check on one race in particular.
>help names ogre
Ogres are rather unintelligent, hulking beasts that live in damp caves and tunnels. Their names are very simplistic and tend to have an “earthen” sound to them.
Ogres have a slightly better command of speech than their troll counter- parts, and thus their names are not as quite as harsh or gutteral. Their names are composed of one or two syllables and they are more likely to use such consonants as: “b”, “g”, “d”, the vowel “u”, and double consonant sounds such as: “mb” and “ng”
Examples: Mumba, Sungo, Blogg
Illegal: Urz, Ghurggr, Thukal, Grorrzaz
Ogres are still pretty much ogres.
Check the player listing again, just in case I misread it.
Listing of the Mortals!
[50 Ill] Ellese (Drow Elf)
[50 Rog] Immiralee (Drow Elf)
[50 Cle] Rressor (Yuan-Ti)
[50 War] Warraz (Troll) (RP)
[50 Enc] Atesete (Drow Elf)
[47 Dru] Zouve (Half-Elf)
[44 A-P] Undil (Half-Orc)
[32 Rog] Malled (Human)
[27 Ctr] Kabos (Orc)
[20 War] Bootyluscious + Twerk-zerker + Tooth and Maw (Ogre)
[ 1 Bar] Katumi (Half-Elf)
There are 11 mortal(s) on.
Total players online: 14.
Record number of players on this boot: 16.
No, there it is.
I admit to having had fun with the name generator in the past, but somehow I doubt that “Bootyluscious” came out of that. Plus there is the guild and title, which has to be applied by a game admin.
Of course, it might be just an admin having some fun, but it made me go “hrmm…”