Having gotten the new system up and running and most everything transferred over, it was time to start looking into what was working and what was not.
Some things I opted to install over from scratch anyway. The Zinstall transfer utility copied things to the matching drives on the new system, but since I had a small SSD there, meant really for Windows, the page file, and whatever absolutely HAD to go on the C drive, that meant some software I wanted on the new, 1TB SSD would need a fresh install. World of Warcraft and EVE Online were the primary candidates for that.
WoW was, of course, easy. It installed, found my settings, and got on with life. EVE Online though… well, I got it going, but the profile options it gave me all seemed to be very old. I was only really worried about my overview settings, and now I have something that is at least a year old, from the point when you could only have six overview tabs. But at least the settings were basically there, I just have to remember to go in and check the box for ship types that were added since that time when I pull up a pre-set.
Other things could just live where they were placed, so long as they ran. So, for example, Steam and all my games from that live on the 3TB D drive. The same with an assortment of other MMOs that I do not play currently. Most seemed to work, though the copy process seemed to have broken things from Daybreak. EverQuest and EverQuest II won’t run, erroring out when the launcher comes up. Such is life.
And then there were the oddball things. I have dragged a lot of stuff forward from computer to computer over the years. I’ve dug out stuff from the late 80s when sorting through archived directories. Most of that is made up of documents. I think there are a couple in there that I might have copied from my Apple //e to my MacSE way back in the day.
But there are some old apps that I have carried forward or acquired. There is a copy of Civilization II – Gold Edition that I had to pick up on eBay when I moved to Win7 64-bit and found that support for 16-bit executables, like my original copy of Civ II, wasn’t a thing.
And then there is ZMud, which has been around for a while.
I have been running a copy of ZMud since the late 1990s. Back when I was working on Macintosh products a friend at Apple got me the Windows compatibility card so I could run Windows in a window and ZMud in that. It was such a giant leap ahead of the terminal emulator I was running on the Mac.
Later, when Apple looked to be dying and Michael Dell was suggesting that the company ought to liquidate and give the money to the investors and having Mac experience on your resume was just slightly better than McDonald’s, I managed to find a spot in a company that enterprise software on Windows NT based mostly on my experience with telephony, modems, and ISDN.
Since I prefer to have the same setup at home as the office, I too moved over to Windows, and have been there ever since. And so I could run ZMud natively. Since I was playing TorilMUD as my main game, I invested a lot of time in customizing ZMud with triggers and shortcuts and aliases and such.
But most of the value in the client was in the maps. When I do posts about zones and such in TorilMUD you can see screen shots of the maps.
In a MUD you cannot “see” the terrain, you can only see what is in the room with you and the exits. It can be hard to keep your orientation, especially when a wily zone designer doesn’t stick to an absolute perfect grid. And while long experience with some zones means I have some paths memorized, a lot of my ability to get around in the world of TorilMUD depends on those maps.
So you can imagine the sick feeling I had when ZMud wouldn’t run on the new system.
Okay, I knew it wouldn’t run straight out of the box. It is from a different era of computing. But I had fixed it up and gotten it running before, the last time being less than a year back. All I had to do was set it to run as Administrator and set the compatibility profile for Windows XP SP2 and I ought to have been set.
But then it still wouldn’t run. It was throwing MDAC, or Microsoft Data Access Components, errors. That was a different problem altogether.
ZMud keeps its maps and its character database in what we used to call the Microsoft Jet Database format. That, too, is some pretty ancient technology and has long since been superseded in the Microsoft lineup, but the backward compatibility used to always be there.
Database problems are not my area of expertise. I am the person they make the GUI admin tool for. But I figured somebody else must have had this problem before, so started the Google trek to find a solution. A few hours and several utilities later however, things did not look good. I went to bed thinking all that data was lost.
However, something I did seemed to have done the trick and the one final shut down and boot made it take effect, because when I resumed the next day the client launched and I was able to log in.
Still, I feel I am on borrowed time with ZMud. While I managed to get the MDAC error solved by whatever means, it still doesn’t launch correctly every time. I suspect there is some conflict that comes with another app loads a particular DLL, though I have to narrow that down. It does seem to run if I do a reboot and launch it first.
Zugg came out with a replacement for ZMud called CMud, which itself is now more than a decade old. I have tried to move over to it, as you’re supposed to be able to transition your data from ZMud, however I have not been successful with that on a few attempts over the years.
One client out there I want to take a look into is Mudlet. It looks a little more modern, but more importantly it looks like there is a path that allows you to move your ZMud maps and such into it.
And, if nothing else, TorilMUD has actually added some level of in-game maps.
For now though I am setup again with ZMud so I can finish off a few more posts about zones I want to remember.