Blaugust has come and gone. Whether or not is was a success, or what impact it had, is pretty much an individual perspective. My goal of posting every single day in August was achieved, so I guess it was good.
Belghast has a summary post about the achievements of Blaugust. The basic stats are:
- 1305 posts were made by Blagust 2019 Participants
- 66 Individuals Participated
- 11 Newbie Bloggers Participated
- 55 out of 66 made at least 5 posts qualifying for Bronze
- 36 made at least 15 posts qualifying for Silver
- 31 made at least 25 posts qualifying for Gold
- 27 made 31 or more posts during the month of August qualifying for Rainbow
We were down in participants, having seen 90 last year, but the post per participant ratio went up, closing in on 20 per, and more people made it to 31 posts this year.
Being in the 31 post club, I get to display the rainbow Blaugust badge.
Bel has a Blaugust media page up where you can grab this year’s, or any previous year’s, badge.
As is often the case, I got to the end of the event and then wondered what had really happened. Sure, I wrote a lot of posts, but did I do anything for the Blaugust community to earn my self-appointed “mentor” title? I am not sure. I did make some Blaugust posts that contained some advice, if you could manage to distill it down enough I suppose.
- Blaugust 2019 is Coming
- Blaugust Arrives and You Call This Prep?
- Blaugust and What the Hell to Write About
- Blaugust and Burning Things Down
- Blaugust and Keeping the Words Flowing to the Site
I was feeling a little manic this year, just judging by those titles. I think I was more on point with last year’s advice posts:
- A Blaugust to Revive Blogging
- It Is Blaugust and What Should I Even Write About?
- Blaugust and Consolidating Your Blog Reading
- Blaugust and Making Comments on Comments
- Blaugust and Editorial Policy
- The Labors of Blaugust
I should probably go back and lump together all the posts about blogging I have made over the years for the various NBI or Blaugust events.
Traffic-wise, I saw an uptick in page views and visitors and likes and comments. That seems to be the norm here for Blaugust. Stats show that has happened for the last five years, an uptick from July to August. Whether that is the impact of Blaugust or other items… last year, for example, Battle for Azeroth hit in August, this year WoW Classic hit, and posts about both attracted search engine traffic… I could not say.
Oddly, the uptick tends to continue into September, with that month being slightly higher in page views than August, though likes and comments tend to fall off. Just looking at the average views per day, this September seems to be following the trend, though I also do tend to keep rolling on the daily post thing for a few weeks after Blaugust. Once I get rolling I guess.
I’m not sure what else to say. I made it. I read a lot of other people’s posts. I tried to comment on some, link out to others, but managed to do neither to the extent that I would have liked. I suppose I should take a moment to get in what has become my baseline advice over the various blogger events, which is:
- Be the blog you want to read
If you’re not making that blog, then what are you doing?
And, of course, I want to link out to everybody who participated. Please click on the links and visit these people!
- ..in the mind..
- A Hobbits Journey
- A Missioneer in Eve
- A Technical Rejoinder
- Aeternus Gaming
- All the Ampersands
- Ammos Rambles
- Ashs Adventures
- Aywren Sojourner
- Azerothian Life
- Backlog Crusader
- Beyond Tannhauser Gate
- Bio Break
- Blog of the Idle
- Book of Jen
- Can I Play Too
- Contains Moderate Peril
- Cooler on the internet
- Daily Creative Thing
- Dating Sims on the Holodeck
- Endgame Viable
- Enjoying Overload
- Everwakes Internet Journey
- Gamer Girl Confessions
- Gaming Conversations
- Gaming SF
- Glittering Girly Gwent Gaming
- Glittering Girly Gwent Gaming
- Going Commando – A SWTOR Fan Blog
- Home of Beau Hindman
- I Care a Lot
- Im Not Squishy
- Inventory Full
- Knifesedge Blogs
- Later Levels
- Mailvaltar – MMOs and other stuff
- Me vs. Myself and I
- Nerd Girl Thoughts
- Nerdy Bookahs
- Neri Approves
- Neverwinter Thoughts
- Play Casually
- Priest with a Cause
- Psychochilds Blog
- Shadowz Abstract Gaming
- Shards of Imagination
- Synthetic Dulips
- Tales of the Aggronaut
- The Ancient Gaming Noob
- The Friendly Necromancer
- The MMOist
- The Parent Trope
- Time to Loot
- Unidentified Signal Source
- Watching Snow Fall
- Whats Occurin?
- Where The Monsters Are
- Wordy Introvert