It is Thursday already. Or I think it is. I went to my Wednesday morning meetings yesterday… unless that was a dream.
Anyway, the week is heading towards its close and I haven’t done much Blapril prep.
But that is probably okay for me. I didn’t plan on doing much in the way of prep in any case. I’ll worry a bit about coming up with enough posts and write out a list of some possible topics and, if history is any indication, events will overcome any plans and I won’t use half the topics I list out anyway. Basically, with more than a dozen years of momentum writing a post every week day, I will probably just muddle through as always.
However, if you are still thinking about joining in on Blapril by starting up a new blog, reviving an old one, or just joining along with your current one, it is not too late to get going. This is only prep week, the first of six official weeks.
- March 29th – April 4th – Blapril Prep Week
- April 5th – April 11th – Topic Brainstorming Week
- April 12th – April 18th – Getting to Know You Week
- April 19th – April 25th – Developer/Creator Appreciation Week
- April 26th – May 2nd – Staying Motivated Week
- May 3rd – May 9th – Lessons Learned Week
Not sure if you can make it to the end? Don’t worry about it.
Back in the early versions of Blaugust, the idea was to get out a post a day for a whole month. But then the chill era took hold in Blaugustan, and it became less about hitting an arbitrary number of posts over a given time frame and more about connecting with other bloggers and sharing ideas and what one might call “community.”
You can still do a post a day. There is a special rainbow achievement for that. But if you’re new to the whole thing, there is an award for that, and if you make five posts you’ve earned an achievement. And, for a lot of people, five posts will be more than enough. It does take a special sort of mania to want to post every single day and not everybody wants to create a giant memory book of their online gaming life.
Anyway, if you are new and considering joining in, there are some posts up for you. Belghast has some of the essentials:
- A Dose of Blapril – The intro post for the event
- Making Room for Writing – Thoughts on finding the time
- Somewhere to Write – Where can you set up a blog?
There is also some sage advice out there that may help you along with the blogging process:
- Magen Tales – A few ideas for new Blapril participants
- Contains Moderate Peril – The Importance of Making Notes
- Inventory Full – You’re Italic, I’m In Bold
- Tales of the Aggronaut – The Name is the Thing
- Battle Stance – The RSS Feed for participants
You can also find what passes for advice from me around here under the Blaugust tag. (You’ll see this post if you click there, but if you scroll down you’ll find past efforts.) Like Bhagpuss, I have gone on about editorial style and blog comments and some of the finer points, but my basic philosophy remains that it has better to have written something, even something you’re not happy with, than to not write at all for fear of not achieving perfection.
Nobody who writes regularly should be completely happy with their work. To be a writer is to be unhappy yet willing to go at it again in the hopes of a better result, or so I have been told. Maybe you should care more about getting better than I do to be a “real” writer, but I am still ahead of somebody who never hits the “publish” button.
So, if you’re feeling it, give it a try.
And if you want more insight, there are plenty of participants in the mix now. The current list of participating blogs (and vlogs) is:
- BeckyBecky – BeckyBecky Blogs
- Belghast – Tales of the Aggronaut
- Bhagpuss – Inventory Full
- Cali – Diary of a Guildleader
- Chestnut – Gamer Girl Confessions
- Discgrace – Daily Creative Thing
- Easha and Poppy – Glittering Girly Gwent Gaming
- Elio – The Path They Walk
- Everwake – Everwake’s Internet Adventures
- Graphiya – Graphiya’s Garden
- Izlain – Me vs Myself and I
- Jen Thorpe – Book of Jen
- Joar – WoW Alt Addiction
- Kanter – MMO One Night a Week
- Kluwes – I’m Not Squishy
- Krikket – Nerd Girl Thoughts
- Lalista – Lalista’s Hub World
- Magen – Magen Tales
- MagiWasTaken – indiecator.home.blog
- Mailvaltar – Mailvaltar – MMOs and other stuff
- Naithin – Time to Loot
- Nogamara – Battlestance
- Ocho – Casual Aggro
- Paeroka – Nerdy Bookahs
- Panda Steve – Panda Steve Types Stuff
- Rambling Redshirt – Beyond Tannhauser Gate
- Redbeard – Parallel Context
- Roger Edwards – Contains Moderate Peril
- rumorsmatrix – rumorsmatrix, a blog
- Sandrian – Aeternus Gaming
- SDWeasel – Unidentified Signal Source
- Shadowz – Shadowz Abstract Gaming
- Solarayo – Ace Asunder
- Stargrace – Nomadic Gamers Eh!
- Swiftcast – Swiftcast
- Syp – Bio Break
- Telwyn – GamingSF
- TheRoyalFamily – Dating Sims On the Holodeck
- WelshTroll – WelshTroll
- Wilhelm – TAGN
- unwiseowl – leaflocker
The latest version of that list is available on the media kit page for the event.
There we are. If you join in, you’ll get on the list. If not, come and visit.