Abyssal Deadspace was introduced a little over two years ago with the Into The Abyss expansion. This gave players a new PvE experience with five levels of difficulty, random-ish enemies, and a 20 minute hard timer that meant you had to exit by then or lose your ship and your pod when the pocket collapsed.
There were also blueprint copies for Triglavian ships, weapon systems, and ammo to be found, as well as mutaplasmids, which would mutate modules to change their states, possibly making them better, but sometimes making them much worse.
All of which became very popular very quickly, as CCP explained in a presentation at EVE Down Under just a couple of weeks after the expansion launched.
Abyssal Deadspace has continued to be expanded, with more blueprints showing up, different mutaplasmids becoming available, and even an option to run them as a team in three frigates rather than just solo in a cruiser. And yesterday saw perhaps the biggest boost yet to Abyssal Deadspace content with the Depths of the Abyss update.
The details, straight from the updated patch notes:
- New Tranquil (Tier 0) Abyssal Deadspace is now available to provide an easier introduction to Abyssal Deadspace. Whether you’re a new player, or an experienced player looking to try out Abyssal Deadspace for the first time, Tranquil runs are a great way to learn the mechanics of Abyssal Deadspace in a low-pressure environment that can be completed by very inexpensive ships. Tranquil Abyssal Filaments can be obtained through the new player gifts, exploration sites, and in Tier 0 and Tier 1 Abyssal Deadspace.
- New Cataclysmic (Tier 6) Abyssal Deadspace is now available to provide an extreme challenge for elite pilots! Cataclysmic Abyssal Deadspace is perfect for pilots who have mastered all other tiers of the Abyss and are looking for a new challenge to overcome. Cataclysmic Abyssal Deadspace provides even greater rewards than Chaotic Abyssal Deadspace, including being the exclusive source for the new capital module mutaplasmids. Cataclysmic Abyssal Filaments can be obtained from Tier 5 Abyssal Deadspace.
- A new two pilot Destroyer mode is now available for all tiers of Abyssal Deadspace. This mode allows entry by up to two pilots flying Tech 1, Tech 2, and/or Tech 3 Destroyers and requires two Abyssal Filaments for entry.
- New groups of enemies can be found in all tiers of Abyssal Deadspace. These new opponents include new varieties of Triglavians, pirate faction expeditions into the Abyss, and even shadowy CONCORD strike teams who will attack any intruders on sight!
- A new environmental cloud can be found within Abyssal Deadspace: the Tachyon Cloud. This cloud dramatically improves the velocity and maneuverability of ships within its area of effect, but beware the dangers of unexpected high speeds if your ships leaves the cloud pointed in the wrong direction!
Two new tiers, destroyer mode, new enemies, and new space weather is quite a bit.
In addition, there are new capital sized mutaplasmid drops available from Tier 6 Cataclysmic space:
- Warp Scramblers
- Warp Disruptors
- Local Armor Repairers
- Local Shield Boosters
- Siege Modules
So those will be the next hot thing for cap pilots. I can foresee many officer mods being wrecked in the hope of getting a big bonus on the right stat.
And, finally, some of the standard drops have been reduced in size so you can fit them all in your cargo hold.
- Crystalline Isogen-10: Volume reduced from 0.35m3 to 0.3m3
- Zero-Point Condensate: Volume reduced from 0.25m3 to 0.2m3
- Triglavian Survey Database: Volume reduced from 0.1m3 to 0.01m3
There we go. CCP has expanded the Abyssal Deadspace content. We shall see how many dead ships the new tier will create.