Yesterday CCP made the expected announcement that the election cycle for the counsel of stellar management was set to commence. The race for CSM16 is on.
The timeline for the election cycle has been laid out as follows:
- 26 April – 12 May – Application Submission Period
- 26 April – 14 May – Application Processing
- 20 May – Live Candidates Announcement
- 20 May – 4 June – Campaign Period
- 8-15 June – Voting Period (from 11:00 UTC to 11:00 UTC)
- 21 June – Live CSM 16 Reveal
Now is the time to start thinking about whether or not you’re going to run.
Ha ha, no… if you haven’t already decided to run and haven’t spent the last six months to a year laying the groundwork for a run, you’re probably not going to make the cut as a serious candidate. But go ahead I suppose.
In order to apply to run a candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Your account must be older than 60 days at the time candidacy applications close.
- Characters on both Alpha and Omega accounts are eligible to run.
- You must have a history of honoring the EULA and the Terms of Service. We will screen every applicant thoroughly, and EULA/TOS violations on your record can result in a rejected application.
- You must create a campaign thread in the CSM section on EVE Online forums covering the following questions:
- Your EVE Online story.
- Your areas of expertise. In which areas of the game do you feel you are the most knowledgeable? What qualities set you apart from other candidates?
- Why are you applying for the CSM?
- What can players expect from you?
- You are free to add more information and manage your campaign thread as you see fit, but the above four questions are the bare minimum required from everyone.
- Your account must have updated and correct information at the time of your application. This includes your real-life name, correct date of birth, and the same email you use to submit your application. To view and edit this information go to the account management website.
- Candidates must have reached 18 years of age. If the legal adult age in your home country (the age at which you have the legal capacity to enter into a contract) is higher than 18, that number applies instead.
- As an applicant, you must consent to provide your personal details to CCP, including your real name and a copy of your passport. CCP needs to affirm your real-life identity for NDA contract purposes, and the ability to travel to a summit in Iceland is a key function of the CSM.
- If you do not currently have a valid passport, we will accept a picture/scan of a valid and approved passport application accompanied by a picture of your driver’s license.
- You must consent to share your country of origin with the EVE community and display it on the EVE Online website. You will not be required to share any other personal information with the EVE community.
- If you are running as an “alt” and control a character that has a reputation in the EVE universe, CCP may require you to run under that identity at its full discretion.
If you believe you can manage all of that, then there are three steps required to apply:
- Fill in the application form between 26 April – 12 May. Beware session time-outs that can refresh the page, and make sure to save your text in a document before. If you don’t get a confirmation, re-enter the information and try again.
- Submit your document scans/pictures to email@example.com in high quality with the subject “CSM 16 application”.
- Create a forum thread in the CSM section on EVE Online forums. All steps must be completed within the application windows. Remember that applications cannot be edited after you submit them, so triple-check to see if the information entered is correct!
So, if you have laid the groundwork and think you’re up to it and are okay with another part time job in your life, the stage is set.
We will have to see who is ready to throw their hat in the ring… again, in the case of some incumbents… before I start trying to pick likely winners.
This will also be the last CSM before term limits, introduced as part of the CSM15 election cycle, will come into effect. Term limits count from CSM14 forward, so Innominate, Gobbins, Vily, and Merkelchen can run for one more term before they have to take a break from the council.