Of course I’m away from home for the first time in months when the news hits.
Blizzard let slip the June first date for Burning Crusade Classic by accident on Tuesday, but covered it back up again rapidly.
But earlier today they finally let the cat out of the bag, officially confirming both the date for the expansion launch and the rumored May 18th date for the pre-expansion patch.
They even provided the now standard global launch time map.
Come the pre-patch on May 18th we will all have a choice to make, whether or not to go forward into the era of the dark portal or to stay behind and continue on in the classic era.
Blizzard has a post up about how to make the choice you want… as well as how to have it both ways should you desire and be willing to part with some real world cash… but it boils down to this set of bullets.
- On patch day, you’ll be able to open the Battle.net desktop app and choose which game you want to play—Burning Crusade Classic or WoW Classic.
- Your existing characters will show on both game types under your old realm name/s.
- Once you’ve chosen a game to play, you’ll select a character to play and confirm your choice.
- If you decide you’d like to play your character in both game types, you’ll be able to use an optional paid service to gain access to the cloned character in both game types.
- Then all you need to do is log in as you normally would and play.
So you have until the 18th to consider your path. For me, the dark portal beckons, and Outland will be the next destination.