The EverQuest team successfully launched two new special servers, Mischief and Thornblade.
Originally just the Mischief server was announced back in April, but the team apparently decided that this new server would be popular enough that they would forgo the usual launch day crowd and queue problems and just launch two servers. And so the Thornblade server joined the mix.
I will be curious to see if there is enough interest to justify doubling up on these servers.
Both servers are “random loot” progression servers which, as I mentioned in the previous post, means that loot from rare and raid mobs in the same expansion all share the same loot table. So your Lady Vox raid can get loot from any other raid boss of similar level from the initial content.
As an upside, rare mobs are supposed to spawn more frequently, so your ability to test the random loot theory outside of set piece raids is greater.
According to progression server FAQ, which has been updated to include the new servers, Mischief and Thorneblade will unlock new expansions every twelve weeks, though the post announcing the new servers contradicts that, with the following information I previously reported being reiterated:
- EXP: Mangler EXP Progression
- Pick Zones Enabled
- Agents of Change Enabled
- Truebox Enabled
- Free Trade Enabled
- Random Loot Enabled
- The Mischief server is a new experimental server that randomizes loot.
- Rare NPCs will drop loot from other NPCs of a similar level within the same expansion.
- Raids will drop loot from other raid NPCs of a similar level within the same expansion.
- We may add other special case randomization.
- Rare NPCs have a greater chance of spawning
- Unlock Cadence:
- 1 month Classic
- 2 month Kunark
- 2/3 month regular release cadence
- 2 months for no level increase
- 3 months for level increase
- Exception: LDoN will only be one month
The exp setting put this server as faster than classic, but slower than current live servers.
“Pick Zones” indicates that multiple versions of the same zone can be active to alleviate crowding. You can pick which instance of the zone you want to play in.
“Agents of Change” allow players to spawn a raid instance for their group, though there is an exp penalty to keep groups from just spawning them to have their own camp. You get a full spawn of all mobs in the zone, but no respawns. Rare mobs have a chance to spawn, but are not guaranteed. Somebody did a video about them if you want a deeper look into this feature.
“True Box” means you are only allowed to have a single client running the game per machine when you play on the server. No full group multi-boxing allowed. If you want there, there is a different server for you. And “Free Trade” means nothing is bind on pick up, you can sell or trade any loot you get.
As this is launch day, when the servers are the most crowded, the team also published a FAQ about the server login queue, which isn’t quite as user friendly as the ones you find in newer games, as it was something added later on to accommodate such launches. The queue kind of depends on your trust in it, because the time estimates are approximations and or you are not told your position in the queue. You could be next and you would never know it.
Still, it is better than the old days when the server just told you “tough luck, try again later!”
And, as with all special servers, you must be a Daybreak All Access subscriber to play on them. There is no free to play option.
In addition, Daybreak is offering two special packs as part of the server launch.
Roguish Rapscallion Pack
- Roguish Rucksack – One 40-slot 100% weight reduction bag claimable on any server! (Lore)
- Bottle of Adventure II (x3) – A bundle of three 25% experience potions usable on any server.
Successful Shenanigans Bundle
- Everything in the Roguish Rapscallion Pack, plus:
- Shenanigan Satchel – One 40-slot 100% weight reduction bag
- Bottle of Adventure II (x5) – A bundle of five 25% experience potions usable on any server.
- Token of Challenged Resurrection (x5) – A bundle of five 85% experience resurrection tokens.
- Bottle of Clarity Pack – One mana regeneration potion appropriate to your level.
- Bottle of Alacrity Pack – One melee haste potion appropriate to your level.
- Potion of Speed – One movement haste potion.
You can apparently only purchase each pack once per account, but you can purchase both, which will let you claim the bag on two characters. These are not “get one on every character” promotions.