The title of the dev blog is From Extraction to Production and it covers a lot of ground on the resource gathering, processing, and production front.
On the prosperity front, the post promises a doubling of many resources found in New Eden
- All ore quantities are doubled in asteroid belts
- All ore quantities are doubled in all resource anomalies
- All ice quantities are doubled (in addition to the previous 200% increase)
- All Omber, Kernite, and Crokite quantities are doubled in sov anomalies, whilst Mercoxit quantities are increased by 20% (in addition to the previous 200% increase)
- All Mykocerocin quantities are doubled, whilst spawn chance of extra sites that was added earlier this year has been reduced
- All Cytocerocin quantities are doubled
- All Fullerine quantities are doubled
- Extraction rate is doubled from moons
- Moon Extractions will take the same time as before, but will yield 2x the quantity of ore when fractured. Extractions which are in progress (and not yet fractured) at deployment time will receive the 2x yield when they fracture
But you will need all those extra rocks to chew on because CCP is also introducing the concept of “waste” in the mining equation. As CCP puts it, it is “a chance per cycle for resources to be turned into space dust.” You’ll still get a full yield in your ore hold, but some of what was left to be harvested will disappear.
The amount of waste will be dictated by the type of mining module you are using to harvest, with tech I modules being considerably less efficient than tech II or faction modules.
There is also a big change coming to mining skills and crystals. Reprocessing skills will be condensed down from 19 varieties covering each individual ore type to 6 to cover the new categories of ore that are being introduced. They are:
Mining crystals will be reworked to cover just those six categories as well. In addition, there will be different variants of crystals that are currently targeted as:
- Standard yield
- Higher yield, high waste, less reliable
- Lower yield, very high waste, very unreliable
I may be misunderstanding that third one, but it does not sound like a viable option, but this is just the initial dev blog and things may change.
CCP is going to add compression ability to gas and moon ore. The Rorqual, Orca, and Porpise will all be able to compress ore, but will require new modules for the type of resources they are attempting to compress. (And the modules will require new skills, so if you got any skill points refunded from the reprocessing skill changes, you can spend them here.)
Also ore and gas compression will no longer be perfect. Compression efficiency will be:
- Ore 90%
- Gas 90%
- Ice 79%
So, once again, CCP giveth and CCP taketh away. You’re going to need that extra ore out there in space to make up for this.
There is also quite a bit on ship and module changes, with some ships getting new ore and gas bays, industrial cores being changed for the Rorqual and added to the Orca and Porpise, new gas harvesting modules, and some stuff that has a supporting spreadsheet to illustrate, which is how you can tell we’re really getting into nerd levels of industry. I always mildly resent people who dismiss EVE Online as “spreadsheets in space,” unless they are specifically referencing industry. This is where the spreadsheets come into play.
There is basically a lot in the dev blog to unpack. But it is just a dev blog, which is generally a statement of intent by CCP. They do, occasionally, listen to feedback on them before pushing the ideas into the live game. CCP usually does big changes like this in stages, starting with seeding blueprints for modules and skills required in advance. The dev blog says they expect to start that by the end of the month.
Being more than a decade distant from caring much about industry and mining, I am going to sit back and listen to those immersed in the topic discuss the changes and pass judgement. Angry Mustache who, along with Kazanir, was on the Meta Show last week for a deep dive into scarcity already has his gut reaction to the changes up on Reddit.