Just because I have been on an EverQuest coverage binge with the Fippy Darkpaw progression server, I thought I would mention that SOE has announced that the 18th EverQuest expansion, the Veil of Alaris, is available for pre-order from now through November 14th.
The Veil... On Sale!
The expansion is $39.99 as a pre-order through November 14th… and $39.99 if you order on November 15th or after. So the only question there is, “40 bucks for an expansion? Do you think you’re WoW or something?”
There is also Digital Collector’s Edition because, God help us, there always is one of those these days.
The pre-order version is $59.99 through November 14th and, I kid you not, $89.99 if you order on November 15th or after. 90 bucks, so if you have to have it, get it now I guess.
There are two items, according to the list, that you only get in the November 14th or before pre-order with either the standard or collector’s edition.
- Resplendent Sword Ornamentation
- Painting: Original EverQuest Box Art
The painting actually sounds pretty good. I’d like that in EQII, where I can actually afford the upkeep on a house.
The expansion itself adds the following to the game, copied directly from their site, so the prose is all official SOE and not my own:
- Go from 90 to 95 – Achieve a New Max Level of 95 and set a new standard of gameplay
- Improved Hotbars! – Have better control of your characters experience with a revamp of the Hotbar system including the ability to display more hotbars with more buttons; assign icons to individual buttons; link and click on items from your hotbar instead of hot-swappping; and cool-down timers!
- Parcel & Coin Delivery system – Mail items and coin to your friends while they are offline; share profits from your adventures with your friends and receive items from them easier than ever before!
- New Guild Halls – Take Guild Halls to new heights with an integration of Tools and Functionality derived from EverQuest’s robust Housing System. Customize and place your guild hall in one of our housing zones including multiple exterior and interiors.
- New Guild Rank-Based permission system – Personalize your Guilds with namable ranks and customizable permissions
- New Guild Trophies with varying bonuses!
- More than 800 AAs – Elevate your power and abilities beyond the norm
- 13 Raids – Collect valuable rewards from all new adventures
- 12 Zones – Be the first to discover untouched lands of Norrath
- 500+ Spells – Exponentially add to your spell arsenal
- 20 Missions – Experience intriguing lore and immersive Missions
- 110+ Quests – Challenge your skills and gather useful loot
- Legends of Norrath™ – 5 Digital Booster Packs
I have to imagine that the whole improved hotbar system is most likely the only feature I will notice, given that I am in the low 20s on Fippy Darkpaw and somewhere in my 40s on Luclin. And I am going to guess I will get that for free no matter what I do. So I will likely pass on this expansion.
I suppose it says something that SOE at least thinks it can sell a 90 dollar box… a 90 dollar virtual box… for the 18th expansion of a 12 year old game.
I mean, the 90 dollar WoW collector’s editions take up a crap load of space on your book shelf, but at least you get a physical art book and the music from the expansion on a CD.
I guess they know who they have over a barrel… those people who need to have it all, even if “all” is all virtual these days.
How about you? Who out there is eager to hit level 95?
Or who is at least happy to see an update to the EQ hot bars?