CCP was keeping us in the dark. They announced a new “Quadrants” plan, which sounded like quarterly releases, and which was said to start with something called “Fight or Flight,” but then did not go into much detail. They even took the test server down to keep people from being able to see what was coming. This did not pass without comment after the “Chaos Era” summer of “surprises.”
It turns out that there were some hints… like what is the Drake spewing in that picture? Yeah, Heavy missiles. So today the update is live and the top item on the list is:
- +5% to damage and explosion velocity of all Heavy Missiles
This is to encourage the use of heavy missiles, especially in PvP. Heavy missiles ruled the roost for a while, early in the last decade, with the Drake being the platform of choice, before firewall tactics and nerfs combined to put the Drake and its weapon system on the shelf for fleet doctrines.
But that is not all.
In addition, the long asked for “shield slaves” implant sets have finally been added to the game. I mean, the requests/demands for “shield slaves” have been a meme for years now. Naturally, they are not actually called “shield slaves,” but the set the armor versions are no longer called “slaves” either, but once something gets a name it tends to stick.
So we have the new Nirvana implant set, and I must admit that is a pretty good name choice. Shield super pilots are no doubt soon to be in Nirvana.
The mid grade set looks like this:
- Mid-grade Nirvana Alpha +3 Perception 1% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 10% set bonus
- Mid-grade Nirvana Beta +3 Memory 2% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 10% set bonus
- Mid-grade Nirvana Gamma +3 Willpower 3% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 10% set bonus
- Mid-grade Nirvana Delta +3 Intelligence 4% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 10% set bonus
- Mid-grade Nirvana Epsilon +3 Charisma 5% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 10% set bonus
- Mid-grade Nirvana Omega 25% set bonus
And the high grade set looks like this:
- High-grade Nirvana Alpha +4 Perception 1% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 15% set bonus
- High-grade Nirvana Beta +4 Memory 2% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 15% set bonus
- High-grade Nirvana Gamma +4 Willpower 3% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 15% set bonus
- High-grade Nirvana Delta +4 Intelligence 4% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 15% set bonus
- High-grade Nirvana Epsilon +4 Charisma 5% Bonus to shield hitpoints with 15% set bonus
- High-grade Nirvana Omega 50% set bonus
A low grade set is promised for the future, but for now it is just those two.
The next question is, naturally enough, how do we get these new implants?
There is an event for that.
Between now and January 27th there will be sites in low sec that will drop blueprint copies for the various Nirvana implants.
The catch is that the site are only accessible in ships that have a bonus to heavy missiles, so you have to be flying one of the ships from this list.
- Caracal Navy Issue
- Osprey Navy Issue
- Scythe Fleet Issue
- Drake Navy Issue
- Raven State Issue
- Scorpion Navy Issue
- Typhoon Fleet Issue
That gives you 33 choices… mostly Caldari… to pick from. But if you plan to use one of the remaining Raven State Issue ships, be sure let us all know! I want to be on that kill mail.
Those are the big items on the list for the update, though there are some lesser items of note.
The first is a tiericide pass… color me surprised that they’re still working on this as I had thought CCP gave up ages ago… on shield boosters. This means that shield boosters everywhere will have new names and such. Be aware. The patch notes have a list.
And the filaments from the Yoiul Holiday Festival have all been converted to calm abyssal filaments. No more jumping fleets into random null sec locations for fun. The conversions were:
- DSHR-01 Filament migrated to Calm Dark Filament
- DNCR-02 Filament migrated to Calm Dark Filament
- PRNCR-03 Filament migrated to Calm Gamma Filament
- VXN-04 Filament migrated to Calm Firestorm Filament
- CMT-05 Filament migrated to Calm Gamma Filament
- CPD-06 Filament migrated to Calm Electrical Filament
- DNNR-07 Filament migrated to Calm Electrical Filament
- BLTZN-08 Filament migrated to Calm Electrical Filament
- RDLF-09 Filament migrated to Calm Exotic Filament
If you hadn’t even opened up the appropriate Yoiul crates, you will find that they now contain abyssal filaments.
And, in an ongoing series of nerfs for carriers, Siren fighters have had their microwarp drives replaced with afterburners, so their new speed boosts are:
- Tech I Siren now has 200% speed bonus from Afterburner
- Tech II Siren now has 250% speed bonus from Afterburner
There are, of course, a bunch of other changes and fixes, most of which are detailed in the patch notes for the January 2020 release.
The January update has been reported as successfully deployed.
Also, as a reminder, CCP also has a limited time PLEX For Good event running to raise funds to help victims of the wildfires in Australia.
The event runs through January 26th. The cash value of PLEX submitted by players (instructions at the link) will be donated to Icelandic Red Cross for distribution to the Australian Red Cross.