Warlords of Draenor wasn’t close enough to The Burning Crusade, the good old days for WoW by many accounts, so this time around Blizzard is just going to go all the way and bring back the Burning Legion and demons and all that. So say hello to World of Warcraft: Legion.
Go visit the official site and you’ll know all there is to know I suppose, but my gut was sort of this:
Key bullet points:
- Ten more levels… because we like that more than five
- More raids, more dungeons because of course more raids and more dungeons!
- Demon Hunter, the new OP hero class, because Burning Legion demons. Elves only though! Suck it Syp!
- A new PvP honor and progression system, because some people PvP. Ranks are back.
- Legendary Weapons from LOTRO, only with a talent tree and some cosmetic effects
- A free character boost to 100, so you’ll have yet another level cap character sooner
- Revamped transmog… hopefully less annoying
- Class Specific Garrisons… I mean Order Halls, complete with fewer followers
- A new area, The Broken Isles
- And more… or so they say
Yeah, there are lots of details, and I have clearly injected some sarcasm into that list, but that is the big picture.
I am no doubt influenced by the fact that I am on a down cycle in my relationship with WoW, but I have to say straight up, right now, this feels like more of the same. Nothing new to see here. No business model change (so I was totally wrong there), no ideas picked up from SynCaine, just one straight from the generic MMO expansion playbook so far as I can tell.
That will work for some I am sure. Not hitting home with me though.
But if Blizzard is not really stretching itself on this expansion, maybe we’ll see it in less than a year then? Maybe that is the plan? They beefed up the team and subscriptions are back into 2005 levels, so sooner is the real plan here, right?
Either way, my initial feeling isn’t “must pre-order today!” I will hold onto that $50 for now. I am feeling more like I could wait until there is a sale on World of Warcraft: Legion at some point after launch. We’ll see how that progresses I suppose.
Other reactions to the announcement, updated as I find them:
- Herding Cats
- Stylish Corpse
- Alt:ernative Chat
- Darraxus the Warrior
- Sparks in the Horizon
- Aeturnus Gaming
- Parallel Context
- Aspect of the Hare
- I Have Touched the Sky
- Dragons & Whimsy
- Atheren’s Adventures
- Imperial Intelligence
- Gamer by Design
- Battle Priestess
- Keen & Graev
- Kinless Chronicles
- Superior Realities
- Rambling Thoughts About WoW
- Blessing of Kings
- Tales of the Aggronaut
Maybe somebody will spot the silver lining for me.
Meanwhile, at least CCP appears to have given up on EVE Legion, so no conflict there.
Addendum: A follow up interview with more expansion details over at Icy Veins.