As the month of September rolls to a close it is time to see what has changed on SuperData Research’s digital revenue charts for August.
On the PC side of the house League of Legends remains nailed to the top of the chart while Dungeon Fighter Online and Fantasy Westward Journey Online II swapped spots since last month and Crossfire remained in its 4th place position.
New to fifth place this month is the ever exploding PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, which passed World of Warcraft, pushing it down into sixth place.
After that World of Tanks stayed in place, Overwatch moved up a spot, DOTA 2 fell from eighth to tenth, and CS:GO climbed back onto the chart, pushing ROBLOX back off the list.
At the other end of the chart the only mobile games I pay attention to remained solid, with Candy Crush Saga holding onto ninth place again while Pokemon Go jumped up from seventh to fifth position.
Other notes from the SuperData blog post, consolidated to reduce redundancy:
- The worldwide digital video games market grew 11% year-over-year in August to $7.9B. The premium PC segment shrank 10% year-over-year, despite PUBG’s breakout success, due to tough comparisons against No Man’s Sky release, World of Warcraft: Legion expansion launch, and Overwatch’s first event and new map last year. Social and pay-to-play MMO segments continue to decline at a rate of 4% and 25% respectively. Console and mobile grew 11% and 13%, respectively. The free-to-play MMO market was the big winner this month, growing 28% year-over-year, as more publishers and developers adopt this business model.
- PLAYERUNKNOWN’s Battlegrounds continues to dominate PC game sales, despite still being in Steam Early Access. PUBG is the number 1 premium PC game for the 3rd month in a row and has overtaken World of Warcraft on the total PC games list for the first time. Total life-to-date sales close to 9 million units through August
- Hearthstone hits all-time revenue peak with Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion. Blizzard’s CCG reached a new high this month. This marks a 15% increase over their previous peak.
- Overwatch PC monthly active users reach new highs due to successive updates. On the back of a string of updates that introduced a new character, two new game modes, and the return of the “Summer Games” event, Overwatch recorded its highest MAU yet.
- Madden NFL 18 sells over 220,000 digital units at launch. Sales were up compared to last year’s launch month units for Madden NFL 17. We also estimate modest additional content growth on the back of new in-game DLC packs available this year.